Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Focal Length - Part 1.1

Compare the focal lengths from a specific distance to see the coverage the lens gives you.

Here are the shots with the Samsung 20-50mm lens using the marked points of 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm

I did not use the table tripod.

Images taken in aperature priority mode, raw sf + jpeg. I did not edit these photos, but saved the .srw as jpg using adobe lightroom. I think those images looked clearer than the .jpg images from the camera.


ISO 250
1/160 sec
f/22
20mm

ISO 250
1/160 sec
f/22
24mm

ISO 250
1/80 sec
f/22
35mm

ISO 250
1/160 sec
f/22
50mm

I just went outside to take some shots, and this was a little difficult as I was also trying to keep an eye on little man at the same time with baby girl asleep in the house in her swing. So once I took these shots, I had to run to the back door to check on her! Fun, fun

To be honest I am not really sure how to compare these images. I prefer being closer to the subject (in this case a cluster of Saguaro cacti) and I feel I should have started either closer to them from the widest angle (20mm) or work backward from the longest focal length (50mm).

I find it interesting that at 35mm the shutter speed dropped by half. I did not think that focal length played a role in that, as the pyramid is ISO, Aperature and Shutter Speed. But, the exposure is brighter than the other two images because of the longer shutter speed...

I do like how the 20mm gives more option of background and foreground in the frame. the 35mm just seems cramped in and cropped versus the 50mm appears to be on purpose. Perhaps it is the tailgate of the truck that caused that and I should have been more cautious of the subject. But since this was strictly a focal length exercise, that was my main priority.

I also find it interesting that the saguaro cluster appears more in the center at 50mm and slightly to the right at 20mm. It seems that the entire plane shifts just slightly to the left the longer the focal length.

I'm really excited about the clouds. Hurrah for cloudy days in the desert! :)

Next will be this same exercise using the Cannon lens...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment is appreciated and I try to reply back as soon as I can! Let me know what you think, constructive criticism is always welcome!