Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Exposure Triangle

I have read so much about the Exposure Triangle on so many different websites. Now that I have had a camera to change settings and actually play, I haven't really done a whole lot, just read.

Here are a few articles that I have found helpful...


One thing I have a hard time with is what shutter speed best goes with what aperture. Of course this is thinking that there is a 'right' one, and really I know there is not. I guess that I need to get that into my head, it depends on the emotion the image is meant to invoke. But for the best exposure, those numbers confuse me...


Here are my current thoughts on the three elements of the Exposure Triangle...

  • ISO - I know I don't like that grainy look. I feel like it is error on my part.

  • Aperture - I really like that shallow depth of field, I like the background/foreground being blurred a little bit. I think it feels more like 'through the eye' that way. It helps that the smaller the aperture (larger the opening) the more light comes through. the more light, the lower the ISO...
  • Shutter Speed - I always try to get as fast a shutter speed as I can. I want good pictures of my kids. I guess at times I will have to sacrifice graininess for a clearer image (not as motion-blurred). It helps that the aperture I like is the kind that lets the largest amount of light in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comment is appreciated and I try to reply back as soon as I can! Let me know what you think, constructive criticism is always welcome!